Thursday, August 26, 2010

I want to get away....


Last Thursday I was having a very rough day.  I was talking with Crystal and she suggested that we go to San Antonio.  I looked on line, saw that there was a temple there, as well as other fun stuff, thought about it, and it sounded like a good idea.  

When Matt got home from work I told him my idea.  He seemed a bit gobsmacked at the thought, but quickly recovered, we did it.  From the time we decided to leave and the time we actually left it was 3 hours.  A frantic 3 hours, but 3 hours none the less!

The drive wasn't too bad.  Especially the first day.  We went as far as Dallas.  On our way down I texed a friend of mine to see if she wanted to meet up Friday morning.  :)  It was fun to surprise her!

Friday morning we got up and got ready for the day and left.  The traffic was HORRIBLE!  It took us over an hour to go six miles.  There was a wreck, so we got to my friend's about an hour and a half late.

I had such a good visit with her.  I really started feeling a lot better after our talk.  She has the most ADORABLE babies.  Her little girl sucks her thumb and it is as cute as anything!  Her son is such a smiley happy baby.  Just sweethearts!

We headed down to San Antonio.  Can I just tell you that the traffic and freeways in Texas are CRAZY!!!  My friend lives a bit north of Dallas and there is the traffic is okay, but getting into Dallas and further south it is just nuts.

We got into San Antonio around 8 that night and ended up eating at the Denny's next door.  We mapped out our plan for the next day and finally fell asleep.

We woke up and headed out to the temple.  The San Antonio temple is BEAUTIFUL.  Seriously.  It has exterior and interior fountains, two story gilded wood designs and all of this gorgeous, reverent stained glass throughout.  The temple was packed, and we were able to do some sealings.  It was a perfect way to start the day.  

The sealer asked where we were from.  When we told him Springfield, Missouri, he joked that we had come just for the temple.  He was surprised when we said, "Well, yeah!"  He then went on and told us that when the temple was dedicated, President Hinckley said it would be a destination temple and people would travel there to do ordinances. 

After the temple, we down to the Alamo.  Mostly to say we did it.  :)  We went and did the river walk and had some lunch while down on the river.

We went to Sea World.  Here's a tip...don't go to Sea World in August!  It was so stinking hot!  But so amazing!  The first thing we did was go to the "Believe" show which featured Shamu.  There we were able to see a baby killer whale calf splashing and waving at us with her mom.   The "Azul" show was unbelievable!  It featured acrobats riding on a beluga whale, they dove from about 6 stories up, some dolphins, and a pretty cool bird show.  

We were able to see some dolphins up close and the shark tank was memorizing.  

That night we went out for some tacos that were oh so tasty.  :)  I wish we could have found some more "hole in the wall" mexican places to eat...but I suppose you can't have it all.  :)  

Sunday was our drive home.  It was a LOOONG day, about 12 1/2 hours, but we had a great time talking and just being together.

It was a perfect way to help me out of my funk.  We're already thinking a head to when we can take another big trip out of town!

6 comments:

ambychappy said...

That sounds like so much fun! And so SPONTANEOUS!

Are You Serious! said...

Sounds great!!! Minus the long traffic wait... I'm going to have to look up that temple and look at it.

Carrie said...

I love that you are so spontaneous. I'm glad you guys had a fun time--I've never been and now I want to!

beanpole4 said...

you can always come back up to montana. we have a temple here too you know.. :) glad you had a good time. road trips are so much fun and im queen of spontaneous road trips. love ya girl.

Michelle C said...

Jeanne - I'm so glad you were able to do that and that it gave you a little break from life. Sounds like a great trip (minus the driving, lol). Fountains inside the temple - now that sounds amazing!

Jessica Waite said...

We went ot the temple too when I visited Patxi while he was training for his MOS. It truly is beautiful. I loved how the wood stain got lighter and lighter with each room. I'm jealous that you can take crazy, spontenous trips like that. what fun! I hope all is well. Love ya, girl!