What is with people not understanding that when you borrow money, you have to pay it back...WITH INTEREST!!
I can not believe how many people come up with excuses for not paying back money they borrow. They are astounding...(And yes, they are really responses that I've heard before.)
"I paid some on the loan, but then I didn't get another bill, so I didn't think that I would have to pay on it anymore..."
"I shouldn't have to pay for this. I loaned my credit card to my son and he charged a lot more than I said he could."
"I only borrowed $300.00...I'm not paying a dime over $300.00 back to the company!" (Who cares that you never paid ANYTHING on the loan, and forget about paying any interest...)
"I don't have a job, so I can't pay my bill. I just live on my disabled son's social security check."
"I thought they weren't going to collect on it because I hadn't heard from them. I'd moved."
"I can't be expected to pay it because I'm supporting my boyfriend, my cousin, and my brother who haven't had jobs for years."
"You can't expect me to pay this because I'm pregnant with my 3rd child and have been a single mom for 10 years."
"I borrowed the $4000. It doesn't look like I can pay any of it back. But you can't charge interest higher than what they charge for a mortgage. That's just robbery!"
"I can't keep up with this credit card because my mom picks up my mail and most of the time I never see it."
"It's not fair that my loan balance has doubled from what I borrowed. I haven't paid any attention to this credit card for four years!"
"I shouldn't have to pay any interest. I told them to stop charging the interest because I cut up the card!"
"I shouldn't have to pay for this credit card. I enrolled in the payment protection plan. Nine months after I quit paying because I had lost my job, they wouldn't honor the agreement..." (You have to notify the payment protection people immediately, not just quit paying for 9 months...and let's not forget to make sure you pay the insurance payment...or they won't pay your credit card bill...)
"I shouldn't have to pay this credit card because they refused to give me a payment plan that would fit my budget."
"I don't need to pay for the ambulance charges. I was unconscious when they got there, and they didn't have my permission to pick me up from the floor of Wal-Mart and treat me!" (The man was having a seizure...So he should just die??)
"It's not fair that the credit card company didn't check that I really make as much money as I said I did on the application."
"What do you mean you won't accept my payment of $10.00 a month on my $6000.00 credit card bill? It's not fair!!"
ANYTIME you borrow money, whether it's from a bank, credit card, paycheck advance, or title loan place, you have to sign papers for it. In these papers are the terms of the loan. If you don't pay, are late, go over your limit, or any number of other items, YOU WILL PAY EXTRA!!! And if you don't pay...interest and fees will be charged, and you will STILL have to pay for it!
I understand that we all have over-extended ourselves at one point or another. And I'd bet that 73% of the people who sign up for a credit card have no idea what types of interest rates and fees are charged. Yes, they are extreme. And yes, those companies do take advantage of the fact that most people don't read the fine print. But, you need to take some personal responsibility for what you do.
Remember...the only "Fair" in life is the county fair.
**Just so you don't think I am standing on a soap box...Years ago, I had to have my butt bailed out of a credit card mess...a big one...because I ignored things hoping they would go away and because I didn't read the fine print on my applications...The school of hard knocks is no fun, and blessings to all of you who have had to or are struggling with this area!
December 25, 2017
6 years ago
7 comments:
I just paid $4500 on my credit card this week. It felt SO good to get such a huge chunk of it taken care of. We're a family of 4, soon to be 5 on a single income. My kids get sick. We have doctor's bills and soon we'll have hospital bills. If I have to pay my credit card bill, so does everyone else, by-golly!
Oh Jeanne, this is so sad. There is just no sense of personal accountability anymore and everyone is looking to put the blame on someone else for the mess THEY got themselves into. (And yes, I've been there too with my first credit card). Credit card companies offer a service. They're not handing out free money. But unfortunately that's what it feels like to some people. They are lucky we no longer have debtor's prisons.
Nice list though...a real eye opener.
When I worked for a temporary agency I kept a list of all the excuses people used not to go to their job. I think when people just say, "I screwed up, what can I do to make it better," it goes a long, long way!
♥ That's so funny! I can't believe some of those!
Jeanne, I agree with you wholeheartedly!! I think the worst is when family loans money and it doesn't get paid back and is not ever even mentioned!! How are you and Matt? Give Charly and Kavika a hug for their Grandma PLEASE!! I heard about you taking care of them and giving Marc and Leilani an Anniversary to themselves!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! You are such wonderful friends and I am grateful that you are part of our 'family'!! Love, Noma
Wow. Sometimes I think that people should have to take an IQ test before they are allowed to borrow......
I'm sure Dillon can sympathize ... he's shared with me plenty of crazy stories about delinquencies at work. It's astounding!
love the last part
the only "fair" in life is the county fair
Post a Comment