Sunday, January 31, 2010

College...

Education is important.

We have been counseled by our prophets that we "...have a duty to learn as much as you can. Please encourage your families, your quorum members, everyone to learn and become better educated. If formal education is not available, do not allow that to prevent you from acquiring all the knowledge you can." -- President Dieter F. Uchdorf (November Ensign pp 55 - 58)

But when did it become the parent's job to pay for further education?

My parents taught us to work hard, save our money, and that WE were responsible for paying for college ourselves. They would help us with applying for loans and grants, help us with our budgets, do everything that they could to give us the tools to help ourselves. My dad would pay us to work for him. We did not, however, get paid for normal household responsibilities.

They would even LOAN money on occasion...to be repaid as soon as we were done with school, and the interest rate was less than what the banks would normally charge...

But we were all responsible for paying our own way to college....

I want to teach my children how to work. How to save money. How to be responsible adults.

But THEY are paying for their own college education.

5 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I totally agree... Way to many kids are given everything and have no clue how to WORK! :)

Ashley said...

Hiiiii!! I found your blog and have spent WAY too much time sitting here reading it! Hope you are doing well, and that all your dreams come true!
Ashley Rowe

The Lorenc Family said...

Amen sistah! We are doing the same thing.

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

Amen! I feel the exact same way!!!

Joella said...

We always find people surprised when we tell them we are not paying for our kids college. I guess it is working because recently Brady told someone, "My parents aren't paying for my college and neither am I. The university I attend will be paying for it." We hope that is true! Good for you.