My dad LOVES the constitution, the founding fathers, freedom, and liberty. He has passed that love on to us children. Part of our schooling was to memorize the bill of rights. (I don't remember a bunch of them, but I do still remember 1,2,4, and 5! It wouldn't take much for me to brush up on the rest...)
My dad has been a great example of standing up for what is right, even when it's not popular, or is risky. He (and my mother!) have always taught and encouraged us to think for ourselves, and not just follow blindly.
This Sunday, for the closing hymn in Sacrament Meeting, we sang "The Star Spangled Banner". I can never sing this song without bawling. I'm sure because of what I've been taught, but also because I believe it was a song inspired from our Heavenly Father.
My favorite verse is the last one...
"Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"
Because of what I was taught in my youth, I feel like I have the responsibility to stand up for that which is right, and this song brings those feelings to the surface.
Thank you to my parents who taught me to love the Lord, liberty, the constitution, and our country!
No comments:
Post a Comment