Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nauvoo...


Matt had a four day weekend, and so we took the time to go back to Nauvoo. We had taken a trip up there last February (that's when Matt proposed to me...) and we wanted to go back.

We both wanted to go see the Jonathan Browning gun shop/home. We recently watched a documentary online at BYU.TV about his son, Jonathan Moses Browning and the various guns he made.


I picked to go to the Scovil Bakery. We met some wonderful sister missionaries there who told us the history of Lucius and Lury Scovil...Amazing saints and pioneers. We also got to sample some delicious gingerbread cookies...and I came away with the recipe...SCORE!


Matt picked to go to the home of Brigham Young. There was an enormous sense of history there. We were able to see possessions of the Young family, read their family letters, and sit in the rooms where important events took place.



As usual it was FREEZING COLD up in Nauvoo. We were more prepared this time, and made sure we had extra gloves, ear-muffs, and warm coats. The Mississippi had frozen over, and we were able to go out and stand on the river! These are ice bergs that had pushed up against the shore, and then ice had frozen around them.


As usual, we were able to spend time in our favorite building of all. The Nauvoo temple is just beautiful, and we love the opportunity to go anytime we can.

7 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ What a great trip!!! That's awesome that you guys are pretty close to it! I love the pictures. The icy river is CRAZY but it's so cool to see what the early saints would have walked across... Love the temple picture also! :)

Jess said...

How awesome that you guys got to go beautiful Nauvoo. I love it there. It has such a special spirit that you feel just driving through town.

Brittney said...

you guys are so darn cute together :)

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

That looked like such a fun trip!!! I'm off my eating out detox, so lets just set a date shall we?! :)

Heather said...

That is crazy that there is so much ice in the river. I love that first picture of the two of you!

Marla said...

Wow I love the ice!! Makes our little snow look sad! LOL

Lisa M said...

I so want to go back again!!