My sister Crystal gave me a very small sample of her homemade raspberry jam about 2 weeks ago. It really was a small sample. Just enough for one english muffin, one PBJ, and one piece of toast. And just enough to make me realize that store bought jam is YUCKY.
As a result, I now have to make my own jam. So I tackled it today. It was SO easy.
All it took was:
As a result, I now have to make my own jam. So I tackled it today. It was SO easy.
All it took was:

Sugar (I know it's the evil white stuff...but it's better for you than high-fructose corn syrup!)

And glorious raspberries (or whatever fruit you want. I used the frozen berries from Wal-Mart. 3 bags worth.)
It literally took me 15 minutes to get 6 1/2 cups of Jam.
Mary came over to visit, and commented that she needed to make jam too. Hunter was very sad this morning that he had no jam for his toast. I sent Mary home with a container for her and the girls, and then gave Hunter his VERY OWN jam. He was SO excited!
I have also started using menus for meal planning for Matt and I. Can I just say that I LOVE it!!!
It is no longer a struggle to figure out what to fix for dinner! Matt and I worked on these together, and so I know that it will be something we both enjoy. And there is usually enough left for lunches plus "leftovers nights".
I am sure it will help with not spending as much at the grocery store, because there aren't as many trips for "just one thing" for dinner. It makes it so much easier to make out the shopping list too!
I have also started using menus for meal planning for Matt and I. Can I just say that I LOVE it!!!
It is no longer a struggle to figure out what to fix for dinner! Matt and I worked on these together, and so I know that it will be something we both enjoy. And there is usually enough left for lunches plus "leftovers nights".
I am sure it will help with not spending as much at the grocery store, because there aren't as many trips for "just one thing" for dinner. It makes it so much easier to make out the shopping list too!

6 comments:
Look at you getting your Holly Homemaker on! I love homemade jam. And the food menu ROCKS! I have been doing if for a while now and we spend VERY little $$ on food for our family of 7. I think last month total I spent maybe 260.00 on food. I think that's pretty good.
We have friends that Lloyd used to work with & they spend like 600+ and their 2 kids are grown and out of the house! YIKES!
Holy poo Rachel!!!! If only we can save so much!!!
So what are YOUR menus like? It is also helping us not to go out to eat so much...which is good I suppose! :)
I have been wanting to make raspberry jam for weeks and now I'm gonna do it! I didn't think about using frozen berries.
♥ yum on the homemade jam! So did you find that it was less expensive to make it than to buy it? Just curious. I like the menu plan too. Not that I've been able to do it for the last 3 months but ya know!!! :)
Gee thanks, now I am going to have to make some homemade jam and I really didn't want to do that this year!!! :)
Kim
YUM! You are a machine! I love home made jam. I wish you could hook me up!
Post a Comment