Sunday, December 28, 2008

Family Car...

In September Matt and I purchased a new car. We both had two door cars, and with a baby on the way, we decided that it would be prudent to upgrade to a family car.


We purchased a 2000 Ford Excursion, diesel, 4-wheel drive. Sounds like a lot of car for just a small family I know. And purchasing a SUV with high fuel prices? We must be crazy! But we purchased this one for a reason!

We get free fuel.

Yep, you read that right. Free fuel. Our Excursion is converted to run on Waste Vegetable Oil. We get the used french fry grease, filter it, and put it in our car! Here's a look at where we put fuel in the car: (gray for diesel, green for oil!)

We have a custom system from Golden Fuel Systems. (Click on their name to visit their website...) I've seen the system in action, and it works great. The owner of the company is my older brother, and he has the same kind of vehicle we do!! :) We start the vehicle on diesel, and once it has warmed up to operating temperature (about 3 minutes in the summer, longer when it's colder & the winter) there's a switch we flip to start to run on oil. When we are about to turn off the car, we push another button and it flushes out all the oil with diesel. We only have to flush the engine if it is going to be turned off long enough to cool down...otherwise, we can start and stop on the veggie.

It has been fantastic having a bigger vehicle. Road trips are MUCH nicer, and I think that in the summer we are going to go camping in it...should be a fun adventure!

11 comments:

Lisa M said...

So great!! I would love free gas. So sweet.

Cindi said...

So, this would be the vehicle Marc & fam will be riding to Colorado in on your way to Utah, right?! ;) At least the free fuel part of that story was true! lol

Jeanne said...

Hey, anytime we head out to Utah or Colorado, they are MORE than welcome to jump in for the ride! :)

Blueyedmle said...

So do you get hungry for french fries when you drive it? (Does it smell like Mickey D's?)

Nana Scott XOXO said...

AMAZING!!!!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ We need a bigger vehicle and here in Montana we're really needing a 4x4! Some of our snow drifts are HORRIBLE! I'm sure you remember! We were lucky to get the van out and then Joe, I'm surprised he get the Honda through the snow. He hasn't gotten stuck yet! Knock on wood! :)

Living My Dream said...

Sadly, my husband wasn't even excited about this since they use this type of system at the mine he works at and they say they are way ahead of the new president-elects desire to green mining (heaven forbid!) :) He said that the problem here is they can only do 50/50% since it gets so cold here and it would turn to sludge if they used it more than that! But what a great idea!!!

Debora said...

Hello fellow MBM sister.
This is Debora Stuart Mikell was "Sister Stuart". I can across your blog from some of our mutual friends. I would like to invite you to mine but I need your email address. My email is cow242001@yahoo.com.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Deb

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

Judd is seriously going to be SO jealous!!! That is awesome!

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

I love you Jeanne! Thanks for putting up with my "dumbness"! LOL