Monday, October 13, 2008

Our baby girl...

This is probably (hopefully) the hardest post we'll ever have to write.

Baby Ande was born Sunday evening, October 12, 2008 at 9:09 CST. We were able to hold her and spend time with her for about two hours. Ande's Grandma Sally (my mom) and her Aunt Crystal were able to be here when she was born and were able to hold her and spend time with her as we were.

Sunday morning, we got up, and we had a great visit with the doctor. We were feeling hopeful again, and were in great spirits. Matt and I had a wonderful family prayer, where again, we expressed the desire to have our Ande here with us, but we understood if the Lord had a different plan. We spent a few minutes talking to Ande, and just had a very special, spiritual time.

At about 10 AM, I discovered that the umbilical cord had prolapsed. We called the nurses and headed over to Labor & delivery.

When my doctor got here (about 10 minutes after everything had started) she checked Ande and I. At that time, we found out that Ande's heart was no longer beating, and that she would be born sometime that day.

Both Matt and I feel that Ande was with us during our special time in the morning, and that she went back to our Heavenly Father before anything happened.

My mom and sister were on their way up to the hospital already, and they just came directly to labor and delivery to be with us.

As we were waiting for Ande to be born, it was very interesting. At times there were tears, but they didn't dominate the day.

We had a wonderful nurse during the day, who kept coming into my room for any reason. She liked us (we're kind of a fun group) but I think the real reason was because she could feel a special spirit in here as we were waiting for Ande.

My contractions started picking up around 4PM, and I was feeling a lot of pain. At this point I decided to get an epidural, for various reasons.

Ande was born at 9:09 in the evening. She weighed 8 oz, and was about 8 1/4 in long.

Our nurse was the same one I had Friday night. Jennifer was fantastic. She made sure that I was comfortable, but most of all, she was concerned about Ande. One of the most touching things was that when Ande was born, Jennifer made sure that Ande had a warm blanket that she was wrapped in.

We were able to spend about 20 minutes with Ande, where we each took a turn holding her. She is BEAUTIFUL. So tiny and perfect. She fit in just our hands. She has Matt's upper lip, and a tiny nose like mine. She looked like she was kind of smiling. Ande has very long fingers...something her Grandma noticed right off. Matt was able to hold Ande while they delivered the placenta, and it was very special to look over and see our daughter being cradled by her daddy.

Jennifer took Ande for a bit so they could take pictures of her. The hospital had a little dress for her, but it was huge on our baby. They put a little white bow on her head, and wrapped her in a white blanket.

After the pictures were done, Jennifer brought her back to us, and we were able to take some private pictures of our own. My sister was wonderful and took most of them.

Matt and I took a few private moments with Ande, had a family prayer together and just spent some special quiet time with her. We made sure that her grandma and auntie had the opportunity to spend time with her as well.

My mom and sister left, and we held her for a bit longer. Matt and I wanted to make sure that Ande was taken care of before her tiny body started to break down, so we had the nurse take her not too long after.

Matt and I plan on having a small, private graveside service for our baby. Ande will be buried in the same cemetery as a lot of Matt's maternal family. My brother is making her a little casket, and my sister-in-law is lining it. We planned on having our babies blessing outfits made out of my wedding dress material, so we are going to have Ande's casket lined with the satin. My mom and sister are going to make her a soft flannel blanket to be wrapped in, then she'll be put in a larger crocheted blanket my mom has.

Matt and I are doing mostly ok. It was really hard for me to let the nurse take Ande for the last time. I just cried, because all I want is to be able to take my baby home with me and raise her.

But Heavenly Father has a different plan. And while it's easy to remember that, it's also so very hard to understand.

During this trying time, Matt and I have learned what we already knew...that we have an amazing support group from our friends and family. We appreciate the prayers, emails and thoughts from all of you, and are grateful that you understand when we don't get back with you all right away.

24 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

♥ You!

David and Taryn said...

Anderson, I love you so much. I so wish I could be there right now to give you a huge hug. I'm so glad you have your wonderful husband Matt there with you to get through this with you. I'm so grateful we have the gospel and the knowledge that we are eternal families. You have the most amazing spirit and testimony and the Lord is going to help strengthen you through this incredible trial. He knows the pain you're going through and loves you so much. I love you and am praying for you and Matt and am so glad to hear that you got to have those beautiful precious moments with your baby girl. You're the best.

Blueyedmle said...

Oh, hun. Im sitting here at work crying and everyone is looking at me strange. I love you darlin. Please let me know if you need anything. Someone to talk to at any hour of the night. Whatever. What an amazing gift those precious moments with Ande must have been. What amazing parents you must be, what an amazing home you must have, that the Lord would send you one of his angels, so she could get the body she needed. You are the parents of one of the elect that didnt need to be tested, that proved herself already. That tells me a lot about you and Matt. (I already knew it about you...) I love you girlie!

Brittney said...

I love you Jeanne.

Lynnette said...

You & Matt will continue to be in my prayers! Love you hun!

Wendy said...

Katie told me about Ande today. I am so sorry. I am amazed by your strength and the understanding that you have. I know that I don't really KNOW you but you were so sweet the day we met. It truly made my day. I would like to tell you now what an amazing mother you are!

Kate said...

You already know I think you're awesome.

Lisa M said...

Jeanne,
I just sit her crying as I read about your sweet baby being born. Please know that I love and care about you very much. If you need anything I am here. Emily is so right about your Ande just not needing to be tested. If you need someone to talk to that would better understand the feelings you are experiencing I have 3 friends who have gone through similar births. Know that you and Matt are in our prayers. I love you so much.

Janessa @ Treasure Hunting Mommy said...

Jeanne- Reading your post really makes me cry but it honestly strengthens my faith too. You and Matt are so awesome and your faith and trust in the Lord is so humbling for me. I can't imagine your pain right now. I'm so sorry. I'm here for you if you ever need anything. Please, please know that. I'm sending you a big huge hug. Love you. -Janessa

Lacey said...

Still thinking about you, Jeanne and Matt. Lots of love to all three of you.

Amy said...

Jeanne & Matt, I don't know the two of you, but I wanted to send you my love and let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I can't imagine the sorrow you are feeling. But luckily we have the wonderful knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. Just knowing that you are going to be with your precious little girl again gives such great comfort.
You are in my Prayers.
-Amy

Kaylene said...

Oh Jeanne, I'm so sorry to read of your heartache. If there's anything I can do please let me know!

Jenni said...

Your family is in my thoughts & prayers!

Jennifer said...

Dear Matt and Jeanne,

I was so touched by this post. We were sad to hear of your loss. We love you both so much. We admire your faith so much. What a blessing to have the knowledge of eternal families. Good courage to you.

Much love,
The VanHoose's

Alaina Evans said...

Oh Jeanne I just now read your blog even though I sent you an e-mail last night. I did not know all the details of your day and now you have shared so much with us of that sacred time. I am so glad that she will be buried by Matt's family so that you will have a place to go and be close to her always. You and Matt amaze me! I am so glad that your family is able to also participate in doing all they can for Ande. It will mean so much!
Also know, having read your blogs about amazing food, that one of the best meals I ever ate was right after we buried Sarah. I wanted pot roast with cooked carrots and potatoes because it was my ideal comfort food. Never had any roast melted in my mouth like that did!! Isn't that funny? I also remember sleeping so deep and sound not really remembering my head hitting the pillow! That I liked too. Those were 2 nice things I remember. Thought maybe you, if anyone, could relate.
I wish I could be there to also feel of Ande's spirit. I have felt the spirit with me at times while writing you which has been a great blessing. I will never forget her and will cherish her always. I'd also love to give you a big hug too. That day I know will come but for now know I love you, love Matt, and love your little miss 8 oz.

Celeste Pacatte-Hoffman said...

Jeanne, you and Matt are in my prayers. I am sorry for the loss on your precious baby girl and I hope you find comfort during this time.

Alexa said...

praying.... love, alexa

The Randall Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family. It's times like these that make me so grateful for the gospel. Please let us know if we can do anything at all to help.

Bethany said...

jeanne, i'm so sorry.

Carly said...

Jeanne- I felt the spirit so strongly while reading your post. You can really tell you have a strong testimony, the Lord loves you. What a blessing to know the plan of salvation, and that you have the very special role of literally being the mother to a goddess. You are so strong, our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Nana Scott XOXO said...

Love you Jeanne. You're amazing.

Jenna said...

You're still in our prayers, Jeanne. You're amazing and inspiring.

Jess said...

I hope you and Matt realize how special you are. Heavenly Father chose you to carry one of his most precious spirits. Thank you for your example of faith and strength. We love you guys.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I so wish we were closer! I'm so glad that you have such a great husband and family! I thinking about you often! Love Ya!